This is especially true if we are talking about a new commercial website. Think about all the things needed to launch a new website. You'll need:
- A good domain name that is relevant to the product or service you sell
- A decent domain registration company
- A reliable company to host your website (We have very cheap, reliable, great support!)
- To Install and configure software on this server (think performance and security)
- To plan your search engine optimization (SEO) strategy - people need to find your site!
And none of the above address actually building your website. Fortunately, we've been through this process more than I care to admit, so although we are technically web developers, we can help you with the entire process of launching a new website, from domain name selection through web programming.
Before we take a look at the technologies we use to build cutting-edge (.a.k.a. cool) websites, let's talk a little about building web applications. Web development is the process of building a complete website, whether for commercial or internal use. A web application is an application that is accessed via a web browser over a network, such as the Internet or an Intranet. When we talk about web development (and web applications), we are referring to database-driven websites utilizing one or more of the following technologies:
- ASP.NET Framework (Microsoft Technology)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- PHP/MySQL (Open Source Technologies)
- Java, and other web technologies