Migrating from VFP to .NET ( Web Application ASP.NET or Client-Server application)
Visual FoxPro is a simple and at the same time powerful platform to support small to medium scale data management applications. But it is best for medium sized applications. It tends to slow down business process as data grows and complex operations are required to performs and lack security of data too. Sometimes the conversions is technical necessity and sometimes customer's demand they want themselves packed with newer technologies as Visual Foxpro support is going to end sooner or later.
" There is no point-and-click wizard or third party tool that will convert exiting VFP application to .NET application. "
We follows a solid conversion plan which consists of following steps:
- Document and Analysis of existing Visual Foxpro (VFP) system.
- Understanding the modules involved in the Visual Foxpro (VFP) system and feasibility of conversion
- Evaluate the best strategy for converting application to Client Server (C#, SQL Server ) or web based application (ASP.NET, SQL Server)
- Prepare estimate of level of effort required for each individual module
- Prepare final design document